Sunday, September 21, 2008

Whose language is it anyway!

While English maybe the dominant blog language over the Internet, I discovered that I could also type in Hindi! So, here I am just rambling..I am not sure how many of you actually get to read 'Hindi' devnagri script nowadays..I recently had been to Delhi Book Fair and picked up quite a few short stories in Hindi!

I tried it yesterday on my alumini memoir blog based on my engg college hostel days nostalgia and I just lovvvved the way my ideas flowed!

Lemme be honest..Though I love the English language for its flexibility and adaptability to different languages, and its vast repertoire of synonyms, its puns and more such factors, there is a certain belonging and ease I feel wrt Hindi...I have lived down south in Trivandrum for almost 4 long years and now I am here in NCR for the last 5 years..Both the places have their own charm, but lemme confess that being able to communicate freely in a language everyone around you understands - right from the office colleagues to the rickshawallah to the neighbours - makes you gel well with your surroundings...

Without ridiculing or being rude towards malayalam, I would just say that at Trivandrum I didnt feel at home simply because it wasn't my mother tongue ...The same way many south indians wont feel at ease in north india..Language is immaterial here..It could be chinese in china, indonesian in indonesia, cuban in cuba, italian in italy, french in France...Knowing the language of the place you are in makes a hell lot of difference!

The following are some of the attempts at poetry that I have tried in the past..some of you may already have read it..but maybe reading it in hindi lipi make a li'l difference!
१.
सेहर आते ही उड़ गए घोसलों से,
परिंदों के पर भर गए हौसलों से,
हवा का रुख हो आज किधर भी,
मिल ही जायेंगे वो मंजिलों से!
(written on a morning i was feeling low and suddenly i watched the birds of a feather in the morning sky coming out of their nests, in search of their daily destinations and targets!)

सर्द हवाओं की गुजारिश है ये
गर्म जोशी से हो सामना
है तुम में वो बात अगर
खुले बाहों से उन्हें थामना
(written on a chilly winter evening in delhi)


बाज़ आया न बाज अपनी उडानो से
कश्तियाँ टकरा ही गयीं आज तूफानों से
साथ मिल ही गया मुझे अब अपना ही यारों
उम्मीद नहीं अब कोई अंजानो से
(Just wanted to convey that if one has the power of 'self', he/she doesn't need approval from people around for all the things, incl his/her own happiness!)

I hope just three assaults are enough for a post! Thanks for bearing with me:)


2 comments:

couchpapaya said...

hello, didnt comment earlier because truth to tell i have a hard time reading hindi. reminds me of my teachers in school :( but i agree with the sentiments ... a shared language does help a lot! many of the friends i've made here have just been because i heard a stray word of hindi or marathi in a crowd ....

anyways, u have been tagged, please check my latest post!

Mama - Mia said...

true! language is one more barrier and also a great equaliser!

i guess the reason i am so comfy with english is that it has now crossed all boundaries incluidng ones in my mind!

but i do feel out of place in a group pf people who speak a language i dont understand!

and love your attempts at poetry!

i am playing catch with your posts! :)

cheers!

abha