Friday, September 5, 2008

The FIRST month at the gym !

Just observe a sample of all the cool dudes in your office, chances are 9 out of 10 will have a paunch. Age doesn't really matter here. The fact is switching on the PC, checking emails, typing, sipping cups of coffee is all that we do in a modern day office. The only time we normally get up is when there is a sutta break or a lunch time or pack up time! Our bodily movements are mostly limited to occasionally swinging in our 'ergonomic' wheel chairs. We even ask the poor office boy to bring the print outs from the network printer which we can see but cannot walk upto, reason - its way too far for us! Nateeja, Result - FLAB!! The same guys would rue the fact that they don't find time to exercise or 'hit the gym' as they called it. The same guys would prefer the lift even if the office is on the first/second floor.

I was no different, when I finally told myself - "ENOUGH of excuses dude. If you want to do it, just do it!". I had the convenience of the office gym being next to our premise, visible all the time. So, there I was one fine day! I had brought shorts and tee specially for it and got into the attire. As expected, giggles and sneers followed me. "Oye! dekh dekh! Kya baat hai, kise impress kar raha hai?" and all that. But I knew if I just focussed on getting started and maintaining the tempo, I would do myself a great service. And so I continued - the treadmill, the cross trainer, the other machines...Initially, burning even 50 calories on the treadmill would leave me gasping for breath and the entire set of gym attire soaked in paseena in flat 20 minutes..But, as I progressed, I would aim higher and its strange how just doing things on and on increases your endurance ! Contrary to my belief that a workout leaves a person all tired and good for nothing for the rest of the day, I felt a hell lot of energy inside! I felt like asking the people around - "Hey! game for a walk or a game of basketball?"

Yes, something I dreaded did happen. Clocking faster and faster on the treadmill had a toll on my knees. Within 10 days, I had a nagging pain in both of them and I limped around. Again, dialogues followed. If you have noticed, there are always health experts around everywhere you go. "I told you not to exert. Go slow. Do this. Dont do that. Look at me. Eat that. Dont eat that.." Even on internet, in the newspapers, everywhere - there are 'health tips'. I have come to the conclusion that no matter how expertly the advice has been passed on, its always subjective. It depends on your metabolism, your tolerance levels, your attitude. Yes, there are rules of course. But don't go too much by the rulebooks.

Even while I had a bad knee, I continued with other forms of exercises. My point was - I shall keep going! And yes, now the pain is gone and I know where I need to be careful. As the cliche goes - "NO pain, NO gain". It literally proved to be true for me :D

9 comments:

couchpapaya said...

wow, congrats on getting started AND more importantly, keeping on going !!!!!! i once went to my gym at 6 in the morning and came back feeling so happy with myself, it's been 6 mnths since i even looked in that general direction. but it doesnt stop me from telling everyone i go to gym in the mornings lol

freebie gyaan from me cross-trainers are gr8 for running w/o damage to knees, use the treadmill only for walking .... pata nahin when i'll use that advice myself but do allow me to live vicariously thru u :D

Amit said...

Priya..

Cross Trainers take a toll on muscles...i mean running on treadmill is so so easy...until you gallop on cross trainers! Burning 50 cals on it, I just exhausted!

Sure sure! I will keep you updated..:D

Smita said...

Same 2 Same :)

I mean 3 weeks back I had joined aerobics and the 1st week I too was a langdi but I didn't stop because I knew if I took a break I wud be gone...

so thoda pain and weight kam karna chaloo hai side by side.

But yes the whole experience has not increased my stamina has increased manifold and the day the weighing scale showed 1 kg less wt I was on cloud nine...

Let us inspire eachother :)

Harjeet Kaur said...

hey....good going....i know its me you mentioned, giving you all that advice to take it easy :)
Guess i was showing off my experience of the last one year. I always thot i will never reduce...but once i started gyming i stuck to it and now its a way of life and i am 16 kgs lighter....Be inspired!!

Amit said...

Smita :)

Aisa kya?? Watta coincidence then! Sure sure...Inspiration doosre ka, perspiration apna !

Cheers!
Amit:)

Amit said...

Harjeet :)

No No NO. I did not mean YOU when I wrote all that advice dene waale log part..kasam se!

I just meant my office colleagues in general...

I will be inspired!

Cheers!
Amit:)

Bhargavi said...

Good one ..Could relate to it. I started hitting the gym roughly a month back too and was limping around quite a lot initially..No pain No gain's very apt for me .. i actually gained some weight after i started gymming .. but then there is hope that the flab will come off.. someday

Unknown said...

well yes the practical implementation is needed for things than reading those subjective things...

whenever i get time, I always try and get up for a short walk here and there in my office.

good going..all the best!

Mama - Mia said...

cool!! and heres to healthier you!!

and yes everyone loves giving tips! like our doc cousin says " India mein ek billion doctors hai, sirf 12lakh ko uske liye padhai karni padti hei!"

enjoy the gym time!

cheers!

abha